[openstack-dev] Scheduler proposal

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 13 17:33:11 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-13 10:17:26 -0700 (-0700), Joshua Harlow wrote:
[...]
> Interesting, doesn't the foundation have money? I was under the
> assumption it does (but I'm not a finance person); seeing that the
> membership fee to become a member afaik is not cheap, and there
> seems to be quite a-lot of members
> (https://www.openstack.org/foundation/companies/) one could
> speculate that resources (compute, lab clouds, people to help
> manager all of these) shouldn't really be a problem...

Yep, there is some money. I have no idea whether there is surplus
sufficient to sustain facilities and staff for a 1k-node service
provider with no customer revenue, but I have my doubts. On the
other hand it might be easier for data center space, hardware and
humans to be donated from 0.1% of 5 different 200k-node service
providers since they already have experience doing that at some
economy of scale (where the OpenStack Foundation does not).

> Anyway, perhaps this is for another conversation...

Indeed, and one better had with the OpenStack Foundation Board of
Directors rather than the developer community/Infra team.
--
Jeremy Stanley