[openstack-dev] Scheduler proposal

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:51:24 UTC 2015

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-10-12 20:49:44 -0700 (-0700), Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> Does the openstack foundation have access to a scaling area that
>> can be used by the community for this kind of experimental work?
>
> The OpenStack Foundation has a staff of fewer than 20 full-time
> employees, with a primary focus on event planning and preserving the
> community's trademarks. If instead you mean the member companies who
> make up the OpenStack Foundation, then I agree with the other reply
> on the thread that it sounds like the effort already underway at
> Intel and Rackspace.

Sure, that its *current* primary focus, but this could be an addition.

I've also been thinking that long-term cross project changes should
really also be guided by the foundation as well. Something akin to
keeping long-term changes (ones that require years of work, such as
cross project quota, or...) on track even when member companies come and
go (because IMHO expecting otherwise leaves things halfway done, or not
done at all).

>> It seems like infra or others should be able make that possible?
> [...]
>
> The Infrastructure team is in the process of standing up a
> community-managed deployment of OpenStack, but it's not even within
> an order of magnitude of being 1k host scale (and at that, it's
> still a multi-cycle plan just to reach viability).

Well go big or go home :-P

-Josh