[openstack-dev] getting rid of tablib completely (Requests + urllib3 + distro packages)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Oct 13 10:38:00 UTC 2015

On 10/12/2015 11:09 PM, Steve Baker wrote:
> On 13/10/15 02:05, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>
>> BTW, the same applies for tablib which is in a even more horrible state
>> that makes it impossible to package with Py3 support. But tablib could
>> be removed from our (build-)dependency list, if someone cares about
>> re-writing cliff-tablib, which IMO wouldn't be that much work. Doug, how
>> many beers shall I offer you for that work? :)
>>
> Regarding tablib, cliff has had its own table formatter for some time,
> and now has its own json and yaml formatters. I believe the only tablib
> formatter left is the HTML one, which likely wouldn't be missed if it
> was just dropped (or it could be simply reimplemented inside cliff).
>
> If the cliff deb depends on cliff-tablib

It does. And also the below packages have a build-dependency on
cliff-tablib:

- python-neutronclient
- python-openstackclient

python-openstackclient also has a runtime depends on cliff-tablib.

The problem is that *many* packages have (build-)depends on
neutronclient and openstackclient, so it blocks Py3 support for them as
well.

So we need to address this.

> I would recommend removing that
> dependency and just stop packaging cliff-tablib.

Can I just drop cliff-tablib from cliff, and be done with it? Really?

I am hereby announcing that I'm paying a beer in Tokyo to anyone who
helps fixing this mess, so we get rid of tablib. :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)