[openstack-dev] getting rid of tablib completely (Requests + urllib3 + distro packages)

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Oct 13 15:14:03 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2015-10-13 12:38:00 +0200:
> On 10/12/2015 11:09 PM, Steve Baker wrote:
> > On 13/10/15 02:05, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW, the same applies for tablib which is in a even more horrible state
> >> that makes it impossible to package with Py3 support. But tablib could
> >> be removed from our (build-)dependency list, if someone cares about
> >> re-writing cliff-tablib, which IMO wouldn't be that much work. Doug, how
> >> many beers shall I offer you for that work? :)
> >>
> > Regarding tablib, cliff has had its own table formatter for some time,
> > and now has its own json and yaml formatters. I believe the only tablib
> > formatter left is the HTML one, which likely wouldn't be missed if it
> > was just dropped (or it could be simply reimplemented inside cliff).
> >
> > If the cliff deb depends on cliff-tablib
>
> It does.

That dependency is backwards. cliff-tablib should depend on cliff. Cliff
does not need cliff-tablib, but cliff-tablib is only useful if cliff is
installed.

> And also the below packages have a build-dependency on
> cliff-tablib:
>
> - python-neutronclient
> - python-openstackclient
>
> python-openstackclient also has a runtime depends on cliff-tablib.

Now that we have a cliff with the formatters provided by tablib, we can
update those dependencies to remove cliff-tablib. Someone just needs to
follow through on that with patches to the requirements files for the
clients.