[openstack-dev] Requests + urllib3 + distro packages

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Oct 13 06:42:32 UTC 2015

On 10/12/2015 03:58 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-10-12 15:40:48 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> Has the infra team ever thought about doing that for (at least) all of
>> the 3rd party libs we use? I'd love to work closer with the infra team
>> to provide them with missing packages they would need, and I'm sure my
>> RPM buddy Haikel would too. This also would help getting our
>> openstack/{deb,rpm}- projects up to speed as well.
> [...]
>
> Long ago there was an idea that we might somehow be able to
> near-instantly package anything on PyPI and serve RPMs and DEBs of
> it up to CI jobs, but doing that would be a pretty massive (and in
> my opinion very error-prone) undertaking.
>
> Right now we can take advantage of the fact that the Python
> ecosystem uploads new releases to PyPI as their primary distribution
> channel. By using pip to install dependencies from PyPI in our CI
> system, we can pretty instantly test compatibility of our software
> with new releases of dependencies (much faster that they can get
> properly packaged in distros), and easily test different versions by
> proposing changes to the openstack/requirements repository.

In this particular case (ie: a difficult upstream which makes it
impossible to have the same result with pip and system packages), and
for a package which has a rather stable API, we could make an exception.

For the more general case, I'm not sure we are in such a hurry that we
would need to have updates by the minute. I would accept to commit
myself for a reasonable delay such as 48 hours max until a new
dependency is packaged and available for the infra team to use NEW
packages. For just updates, I'm convince it could be semi-automated
(like for example a proposal bot).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)