[openstack-dev] Requests + urllib3 + distro packages

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Mon Oct 12 22:44:47 UTC 2015

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-10-12 15:40:48 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> Has the infra team ever thought about doing that for (at least) all of
>> the 3rd party libs we use? I'd love to work closer with the infra team
>> to provide them with missing packages they would need, and I'm sure my
>> RPM buddy Haikel would too. This also would help getting our
>> openstack/{deb,rpm}- projects up to speed as well.
> [...]
>
> Long ago there was an idea that we might somehow be able to
> near-instantly package anything on PyPI and serve RPMs and DEBs of
> it up to CI jobs, but doing that would be a pretty massive (and in
> my opinion very error-prone) undertaking.

Anvil gets somewhat far on this, although its not supporting DEBs it
does build its best attempt at RPMs building them automatically and
turning git repos of projects into RPMs.

http://anvil.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/summary.html (hopefully
the existence of this is not news to folks).

A log of this in action (very verbose) is at:

http://logs.openstack.org/40/225240/4/check/gate-anvil-rpms-dsvm-devstack-centos7/0eea2a9/console.html

Feel free to ask questions as to how this is being done on
#openstack-anvil or find me on other channels... I believe it is also
one of the goals of the rpm and packaging teams to do something similar,
although that might be a ways off?