[openstack-dev] Requests + urllib3 + distro packages

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 12 13:58:56 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-12 15:40:48 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> Has the infra team ever thought about doing that for (at least) all of
> the 3rd party libs we use? I'd love to work closer with the infra team
> to provide them with missing packages they would need, and I'm sure my
> RPM buddy Haikel would too. This also would help getting our
> openstack/{deb,rpm}- projects up to speed as well.
[...]

Long ago there was an idea that we might somehow be able to
near-instantly package anything on PyPI and serve RPMs and DEBs of
it up to CI jobs, but doing that would be a pretty massive (and in
my opinion very error-prone) undertaking.

Right now we can take advantage of the fact that the Python
ecosystem uploads new releases to PyPI as their primary distribution
channel. By using pip to install dependencies from PyPI in our CI
system, we can pretty instantly test compatibility of our software
with new releases of dependencies (much faster that they can get
properly packaged in distros), and easily test different versions by
proposing changes to the openstack/requirements repository.

The only way I see this changing is if authors of Python libraries
switch to packaging their own software for major distributions and
have a pass to get them included by those distributions
near-instantly. Also, distros would have to cease caring about
reducing the number of concurrent versions of libraries they provide
(and I posit that as soon as debian/sid ships a DEB for every
version ever released for packages like python-requests and
python-urllib3, apt-get will begin to exhibit similar dependency
resolution challenges).
--
Jeremy Stanley