[openstack-dev] Scheduler proposal

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Oct 12 12:57:26 UTC 2015

On 10/11/2015 02:53 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> i am curious as well. AFAIK, cassandra works well with OpenJDK. Can you
> please elaborate what you concerns are for #1?
>
> Thanks,
> Dims

s/works well/works/

Upstream doesn't test against OpenJDK, and they close bugs without
fixing them when it only affects OpenJDK and it isn't grave. I know this
from one of the upstream from Cassandra, who is also a Debian developer.
Because of this state of things, he gave up on packaging Cassandra in
Debian (and for other reasons too, like not having enough time to work
on the packaging).

I trust what this Debian developer told me. If I remember correctly,
it's Eric Evans <eevans at debian.org> (ie, the author of the ITP at
https://bugs.debian.org/585905) that I'm talking about.

On 10/12/2015 01:19 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> This is not a requirement by any means. See [3].

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21487354/does-latest-cassandra-support-openjdk

A *hard* requirement, probably not. But this doesn't mean that Cassandra
works *well* on OpenJDK.

Anyway, I'd prefer if nobody trusted me, and that this was seriously
checked.

On 10/11/2015 08:53 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/service/StartupChecks.java#L153-L155

>     // There is essentially no QA done on OpenJDK builds, and
>     // clusters running OpenJDK have seen many heap and load issues.
>     logger.warn("OpenJDK is not recommended. Please upgrade to the
>     newest Oracle Java release");

Ah! Thanks for finding out the details I was missing... :)
With this kinds of problems, I don't think anyone would like to take the
responsibility to upload Cassandra to either Debian or Ubuntu. At least
*I* wouldn't.

That being said, maybe the issue that Clint quoted is fixable. Probably
the issue is that nobody really cares... (yet?)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)