[openstack-dev] Scheduler proposal

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Thu Oct 8 15:24:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:43:01 -0400
Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 10/08/2015 09:01 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Maish Saidel-Keesing wrote:
> >> Operational overhead has a cost - maintaining 3 different database
> >> tools, backing them up, providing HA, etc. has operational cost.
> >>
> >> This is not to say that this cannot be overseen, but it should be
> >> taken into consideration.
> >>
> >> And *if* they can be consolidated into an agreed solution across
> >> the whole of OpenStack - that would be highly beneficial (IMHO).
> >
> > Agreed, and that ties into the similar discussion we recently had
> > about picking a common DLM. Ideally we'd only add *one* general
> > dependency and use it for locks / leader election / syncing status
> > around.
> >

> ++
>
> All of the proposed DLM tools can fill this space successfully. There
> is definitely not a need for multiple.

On this point, and just thinking out loud. If we consider saving
compute_node information into say a node in said DLM backend (for
example a znode in zookeeper[1]); this information would be updated
periodically by that compute_node *itself* (it would say contain
information about what VMs are running on it, what there utilization is
and so-on).

For example the following layout could be used:

/nova/compute_nodes/<hypervisor-hostname>

<hypervisor-hostname> data could be:

{
    vms: [],
    memory_free: XYZ,
    cpu_usage: ABC,
    memory_used: MNO,
}

Now if we imagine each/all schedulers having watches
on /nova/compute_nodes/ ([2] consul and etc.d have equivalent concepts
afaik) then when a compute_node updates that information a push
notification (the watch being triggered) will be sent to the
scheduler(s) and the scheduler(s) could then update a local in-memory
cache of the data about all the hypervisors that can be selected from
for scheduling. This avoids any reading of a large set of data in the
first place (besides an initial read-once on startup to read the
initial list + setup the watches); in a way its similar to push
notifications. Then when scheduling a VM -> hypervisor there isn't any
need to query anything but the local in-memory representation that the
scheduler is maintaining (and updating as watches are triggered)...

So this is why I was wondering about what capabilities of cassandra are
being used here; because the above I think are unique capababilties of
DLM like systems (zookeeper, consul, etcd) that could be advantageous
here...

[1]
https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_zkDataModel_znodes

[2]