[openstack-dev] [nova] Min libvirt for Mitaka is 0.10.2 and suggest Nxxx uses 1.1.1

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Oct 7 11:17:09 UTC 2015

> On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 06:55:44AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
>> On 10/07/2015 06:46 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> In the Liberty version of OpenStack we had a min libvirt of 0.9.11 and
>>> printed a warning on startup if you had < 0.10.2, to the effect that
>>> Mitaka will required 0.10.2
>>>
>>> This mail is a reminder that we will[1] mandate libvirt >= 0.10.2 when
>>> Mitaka is released.
>>>

>>> Looking forward to the Nxxxx release, I am suggesting that we target
>>> a new min libvirt of 1.1.1 for that cycle.
>>>
>>> Based on info in
>>>
>>>    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix
>>>
>>> this will exclude the following distros running running Nova Nxxx
>>> release:
>>>
>>>  - Fedora 20 - it will be end-of-life way before Nxxx is released
>>>
>>>  - RHEL 6 - Red Hat stopped shipping Nova on RHEL-6 after Icehouse
>>>             and base distro only supports Python 2.6
>>>
>>>  - OpenSUSE 12 - this was end-of-life about 6 months ago now
>>>
>>>  - SLES 11 - base distro only supports Python 2.6
>>>
>>>  - Debian Wheezy - Debian Jessie is current stable, and Wheezy-backports
>>>                    provides new enough libvirt for people who wish to
>>> 		   stay on Wheezy
>>>
>>> The min distros required would thus be Fedora 21, RHEL 7.0, OpenSUSE 13
>>> SLES 12, Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty LTS)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/231917/
>>
>> Isn't RHEL 7.1 just an update stream on RHEL 7.0? It seems a little
>> weird to keep the 1.1.1 support instead of just going up to 1.2.2.
>
> Yes & no. There are in fact two different streams users can take
> with RHEL. They can stick on a bugfix only stream, which would be
> 7.0.1, 7.0.2, etc, or they can take the bugfix + features stream
> which is 7.1, 7.2, etc. They can't stick on the bugfix only
> stream forever though, so given that by time Nxx is released
> 7.2 will also be available, we are probably justified in dropping
> 7.0 support.
>
> The next oldest distro libvirt would be Debian Wheezy-backports at 1.2.1.
> If we are happy to force Debian users to Jessie, then next oldest after
> that is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with 1.2.2.

1.2.1 seems reasonable, it's also probably worth asking the Debian folks
if they can put 1.2.2 into the backport stream.

I think it might also be worth pre-declaring the O minimum as well so
that instead of just following the distros we are signaling what we'd
like in there. Because in the O time frame it feels like 1.2.8 would be
a reasonable minimum, and that would give distros a year of warning to
ensure they got things there.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague