[openstack-dev] [nova] Min libvirt for Mitaka is 0.10.2 and suggest Nxxx uses 1.1.1

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 11:38:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 07:17:09AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 07:02 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 06:55:44AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> >> Isn't RHEL 7.1 just an update stream on RHEL 7.0? It seems a little
> >> weird to keep the 1.1.1 support instead of just going up to 1.2.2.
> >
> > Yes & no. There are in fact two different streams users can take
> > with RHEL. They can stick on a bugfix only stream, which would be
> > 7.0.1, 7.0.2, etc, or they can take the bugfix + features stream
> > which is 7.1, 7.2, etc. They can't stick on the bugfix only
> > stream forever though, so given that by time Nxx is released
> > 7.2 will also be available, we are probably justified in dropping
> > 7.0 support.
> >
> > The next oldest distro libvirt would be Debian Wheezy-backports at 1.2.1.
> > If we are happy to force Debian users to Jessie, then next oldest after
> > that is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with 1.2.2.
>
> 1.2.1 seems reasonable, it's also probably worth asking the Debian folks
> if they can put 1.2.2 into the backport stream.
>
> I think it might also be worth pre-declaring the O minimum as well so
> that instead of just following the distros we are signaling what we'd
> like in there. Because in the O time frame it feels like 1.2.8 would be
> a reasonable minimum, and that would give distros a year of warning to
> ensure they got things there.

FYI I extended the distro support wiki page with details of the min
libvirt we have required in each Nova release:

  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix#Nova_release_min_version

We could just add a row for Oxxxx release with an educated guess
as to a possible target, to give people an idea of where we're
likely to go.

Regards,
Daniel