[openstack-dev] FW: [Fuel] 8.0 Region name support / Multi-DC

Adam Heczko aheczko at mirantis.com
Wed Oct 7 10:28:14 UTC 2015

Hi, although I'm not participating in this story since very beginning, let
me add my 2 cents.
For scalability purposes Nova considers rather use of 'cells' rather than
'regions' construct.
Regions as name suggests deals with geographically dispersed data centre
locations.
In regards to Fuel architecture, since Fuel supports only one PXE network,
it is IMO unable to deploy multi region clouds.
Fuel uses 'environments' construct, but again it doesn't fit to 'region'
nor 'cell', since Fuel's 'environment' deploys just another cluster (with
own set of controllers, computes etc.) over the shared PXE network.
It is probably quite affordable to add 'cells' capability to Fuel, maybe
through Fuel-plugins mechanism, which could decouple nova-scheduler and
related roles from 'main' controller role.
For true multi-region capability, it would be required to operate
multi-cobbler Fuel instances / multiple PXE networks with appropriate
'region' names provided.
A initial approach to it would be probably to deploy multiple Fuel
instances (one Fuel per region) and then bound them altogether through
RESTful API / operate at scale through API, at least when it comes to
Keystone and Galera cluster configuration.
There are several approaches to multi region, maybe good one would be
plugin allowing to select remote data centre Galera cluster as a partner
for replication.
I'm not sure at this moment how HA would be operated this way, since
Keystone utilizes memcached for various operations. Would multi-region
memcached memory states also be synchronized?
So multi-region DC could rise up a lot related to it problems.

Regards,

A.

Adam Heczko
Security Engineer @ Mirantis Inc.