[openstack-dev] [nova][mistral] Automatic evacuation as a long running task

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Tue Oct 6 09:51:45 UTC 2015

Roman,

Here are some things that may help you:
In Mistral we’ve been aware of this post-message-processing ACK problem since we began to use oslo.messaging and we’ve been communicating with oslo team in order to fix that. Patch [1] is supposed to help us finally solve it. I would encourage you to participate in that effort too to make sure this matches your understanding of the problem. We’ve also seen a bug [2] that you filed at Launchpad so we’ll be updating its status.
As far as Mistral HA, I would say the following: it is actually supported by design but there’s a number of issues with its implementation. Not that it’s an HA info but, FYI, there are existing Mistral installations working in production with multiple Mistral engines, executors and api servers. Although I have to admit that it’s not so easy yet to make such installations work reliably. Generally, we keep working on it and we have huge plans for making Mistral HA in Mitaka cycle. Significant part of design sessions in Tokyo will be exactly about HA which includes a lot of things: proper testing, profiling, identifying points of failure and overall performance improvement (which is also one of the things influencing overall robustness).
As far as the task you’re trying to solve, I can say that, IMO, Mistral is a good candidate for this just because it’s really a standalone reliable service that can take execution of a long process under its control. This is one of the main ideas behind it. Currently we are planning to address similar cases with Mistral within our company. I think we’ll share the results when once we get something done and described.

Thanks for bringing this up. And I'll say what I usually do: you’re very welcome to contribute into Mistral, it should be fun to do.

Looking forward to hear more from you about your discoveries.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/229186/ <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/229186/>
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mistral/+bug/1502120 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mistral/+bug/1502120>

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.