[openstack-dev] [release] preparing your mitaka-1 milestone tag

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Nov 27 14:32:44 UTC 2015

Next week (Dec 1-3) is the Mitaka 1 milestone deadline. Release
liaisons for all managed projects using the cycle-with-milestones
release model will need to propose tags for their repositories by
Thursday. Tag requests submitted after Dec 3 will be rejected.

As a one-time change, we are also going to simplify how we specify
the versions for projects by moving to only using tags, and removing
the version entry from setup.cfg. As with most of the other changes
we are making this cycle, switching to only using tags for versioning
will simplify some of the automation and release management processes.

Because of the way pbr calculates development version numbers, we
need to be careful to tag the new milestone before removing the
version entry to avoid having our versions decrease on master (for
example, from something in the 12.0.0 series to something in the
11.0.0 series), which would disrupt users deploying from trunk
automatically.

Here are the steps we need to follow, for each project to tag the
milestone and safely remove the version entry:

1. Complete the reno integration so that release notes are building
   correctly, and add any release notes for work done up to this
   point.  Changes to project-config should be submitted and changes
   to add reno to each repository should be landed.

2. Prepare a patch to the deliverable file in the openstack/releases
   repository adding a *beta 1* tag for the upcoming release,
   selecting an appropriate SHA close to the tip of the master
   branch.

   For example, a project with version number 8.0.0 in setup.cfg
   right now should propose a tag 8.0.0.0b1 for this milestone.

   The SHA should refer to a patch merged *after* all commits
   containing release notes intended for the milestone to ensure the
   notes are picked up in the right version.

3. Prepare a patch to the project repository removing the version
   line from setup.cfg.

   Set the patch to depend on the release patch from step 1, and
   use the topic "remove-version-from-setup".

4. Add a comment to the milestone tag request linking to the
   review from step 3.

We will wait to tag the milestone for a project until the reno
integration is complete and until the tag request includes a link
to a patch removing the version entry. Again, late submissions will
be rejected.

After your milestone is tagged, the patches to remove the version
entry from setup.cfg should be given high priority for reviews and
merged as quickly as possible.

Projects following the cycle-with-intermediary release model will need
to complete these steps around the time of their next release, but if
there is no release planned for the milestone week the work can wait.

As always, let me know if you have questions.

Doug