[openstack-dev] [Horizon][Neutron] dashboard repository for neutron subprojects

Cathy Zhang Cathy.H.Zhang at huawei.com
Thu Nov 26 00:59:45 UTC 2015

 I have some questions on option (c) and would like to make sure we are on the same page.

Thanks,
Cathy

(c) neutron sub-project repo
- [+] Each sub-project can develop a dashboard fast.
- [-] It is doable, but the directory tree can be complicated.
- [-] Lead to too many repos and the horizon team/liaison cannot cover all.
If we work in the same mode as we do DevStack plugins today, that is inside the sub-projects repo, the number of repos should be equal to the number of sub-projects. Also, this simplifies the packaging and allow each subproject owners to take ownership of the code. Guidance from Horizon folks will be appreciated to help the interested people get started. Question is: does Horizon plugin follow the same model as Neutron plugins like all the code is part of Horizon umbrella? If yes, then this might not be the ideal option.

Cathy> Thanks Akihiro for starting this discussion. +1 for the idea of doing this within each sub-project repo since its functionality is closely associated with the other code patches of the sub-project. Networking-sfc has already developed a Horizon dashboard in Horizon tree, but we got suggestion from Horizon team to move the code to the separate project repo. We are interested in trying this approach in the network-sfc project. Since this is a new way to add Horizon plugin, we would like to get guidance from Horizon folks. Is Horizon folks OK for this option and will give each Neutron sub-project the needed support? I think  Fawad raised a good question here. Does the Horizon code in each Neutron sub-project repo a part of Horizon umbrella? Do we need to get Horizon team’s approval for the code merge? If so, it comes back to the issue of how we can ensure faster iteration?

(d) a separate repo per neutron sub-project
Similar to (c)
- [+] A dedicate repo for dashboard simplifies the directory tree.
- [-] Need to setup a separate repo.
- [-] Lead to too many repos and the horizon team/liaison cannot cover all.
 Agree

Note that this mail is not intended to move the current neutron
support in horizon
to outside of horizon tree. I would like to discuss Horizon support of
additional features.

Akihiro

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/plugins.html