[openstack-dev] [Horizon][Neutron] dashboard repository for neutron subprojects

Fawad Khaliq fawad at plumgrid.com
Wed Nov 25 06:12:57 UTC 2015

Hi Akihiro,

Great initiative.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Neutron has now various subprojects and some of them would like to
> implement Horizon supports. Most of them are additional features.
> I would like to start the discussion where we should have horizon support.
>
> [Background]
> Horizon team introduced a plugin mechanism and we can add horizon panels
> from external repositories. Horizon team is recommending external repos for
> additional services for faster iteration and features.
> We have various horizon related repositories now [1].
>
> In Neutron related world, we have neutron-lbaas-dashboard and
> horizon-cisco-ui repos.
>
> [Possible options]
> There are several possible options for neutron sub-projects.
> My current vote is (b), and the next is (a). It looks a good balance to me.
> I would like to gather broader opinions,
>
> (a) horizon in-tree repo
> - [+] It was a legacy approach and there is no initial effort to setup a
> repo.
> - [+] Easy to share code conventions.
> - [-] it does not scale. Horizon team can be a bottleneck.

Based on the learnings from Neutron plugins, it makes sense not to go down
this route.

> (b) a single dashboard repo for all neutron sub-projects
> - [+] No need to set up a repo by each sub-project
> - [+] Easier to share the code convention. Can get horizon reviewers.
> - [-] who will be a core reviewer of this repo?

Over here, for sub-project specific Horizon features, we will be adding
complexity of packaging/configuration.

> (c) neutron sub-project repo
> - [+] Each sub-project can develop a dashboard fast.
> - [-] It is doable, but the directory tree can be complicated.
> - [-] Lead to too many repos and the horizon team/liaison cannot cover all.

If we work in the same mode as we do DevStack plugins today, that is inside
the sub-projects repo, the number of repos should be equal to the number of
sub-projects. Also, this simplifies the packaging and allow each subproject
owners to take ownership of the code. Guidance from Horizon folks will be
appreciated to help the interested people get started. Question is: does
Horizon plugin follow the same model as Neutron plugins like all the code
is part of Horizon umbrella? If yes, then this might not be the ideal
option.

> (d) a separate repo per neutron sub-project
> Similar to (c)
> - [+] A dedicate repo for dashboard simplifies the directory tree.
> - [-] Need to setup a separate repo.
> - [-] Lead to too many repos and the horizon team/liaison cannot cover all.

 Agree