[openstack-dev] [all] Thoughts on python-future?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 25 21:14:41 UTC 2015

On 26 November 2015 at 10:08, Eric Kao <ekcs.openstack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the main benefit of python-future is that the library helps us
> write straight Python 3 code instead of special bridged code.
>
> For example, instead of writing six.iteritems(dict0), one could write
> simply dict0.items() and expect Python 3 behavior across Python 2 & 3.

But - one shouldn't be writing six.iteritems(dict0) *anyway* except in
really specific circumstances. We had a mega thread on that a few
months back - tl;dr at our scale - even at our aspirational scale - it
rarely if ever matters.

Its that that makes me actually skeptical - the overheads of 2+3
single tree compat are really really low already, generally.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist