[openstack-dev] [all] Thoughts on python-future?

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Nov 25 09:18:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24 2015, Eric Kao wrote:

> I¹ve been using the python-future library for Python 3 porting and want to
> see what people think of it. http://python-future.org/overview.html#features
>
> The end result is standard Python3 code made compatible with Python2 through
> library imports. The great thing is that Python 3 execution is mostly
> independent of the library, so once Python 2 support is dropped, the use of
> the library can be dropped too.
>
> Anyone know why it¹s not used in OpenStack perhaps alongside six? Thanks!

python-future has been a dependency of pytimeparse¹ for a while and it
has been a nightmare. IIRC, python-future blends into Python magically
so it is somehow automatically imported each time you run Python. This
had a tendency to break random other Python packages installed in the
environment.

In the end we just dropped it from pytimeparse and we're much happier.

And we're very happy with six. :)

¹  It's used by Gnocchi.

--
Julien Danjou