[openstack-dev] [ironic]Ironic operations on nodes in maintenance mode

Shraddha Pandhe spandhe.openstack at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 23:35:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

I would like to know how everyone is using maintenance mode and what is
expected from admins about nodes in maintenance. The reason I am bringing
up this topic is because, most of the ironic operations, including manual
cleaning are not allowed for nodes in maintenance. Thats a problem for us.

The way we use it is as follows:

We allow users to put nodes in maintenance mode (indirectly) if they find
something wrong with the node. They also provide a maintenance reason along
with it, which gets stored as "user_reason" under maintenance_reason. So
basically we tag it as user specified reason.

To debug what happened to the node our operators use manual cleaning to
re-image the node. By doing this, they can find out all the issues related
to re-imaging (dhcp, ipmi, image transfer, etc). This debugging process
applies to all the nodes that were put in maintenance either by user, or by
system (due to power cycle failure or due to cleaning failure).

This is how we use maintenance mode in Ironic.