[openstack-dev] [keystone][all] Move from active distrusting model to trusting model

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Nov 23 21:59:42 UTC 2015

Excerpts from David Chadwick's message of 2015-11-23 13:20:56 -0800:
> Since the ultimate arbiter is the PTL, then it would be wrong to allow
> members of the same organisation as the PTL to perform all three code
> functions without the input of anyone from any other organisation. This
> places too much power in the hands of one organisation to the detriment
> of the overall community.

This is just a vote for distrusting the community. If you think there's
"power" in being able to merge things, and that organizations will abuse
this power, then you vote for distrust.

However, I don't think PTLs have power to censure anybody nor do they
have absolute arbitration powers. They break ties. Whatever discretion
they have can almost certainly be overridden by the TC according to this:

"...  if a given debate cannot be clearly resolved, the PTL can decide
the outcome. Although the TC is generally not involved in team-internal
decisions, it still has oversight over team decisions, especially when
they affect other teams or go contrary to general OpenStack goals."

http://governance.openstack.org/reference/charter.html#project-team-leads

So I think if a PTL were to act improperly in a way that the project
team disagreed with, it would be well within the right and charter of
the TC to intervene as part of oversight.