[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] OpenStack Tokyo Summit Summary

Fei Long Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Nov 6 12:31:09 UTC 2015

Greetings,

Firstly, thank you for everyone joined Zaqar sessions at Tokyo summit.
We definitely made some great progress for those working sessions. Here
are the high level summary and those are basically our Mitaka
priorities. I may miss something so please feel free to comment/reply
this mail.

Sahara + Zaqar
---------------------

We have a great discussion with Ethan Gafford from Sahara team. Sahara
team is happy to use Zaqar to fix some potential security issues. The
main user case will be covered in Mitaka is protecting tenant guest and
data from administrative user. So what Zaqar team needs to do in Mitaka
is completing the zaqar client function gaps for v2 to support signed
URL, which will be used by Sahara guest agent. Ethan will create a spec
in Sahara to track this work. This is a POC of what it'd look like to
have a guest agent in Sahara on top of Zaqar. The Sahara team has not
decided to use Zaqar yet but this would be the bases for that discussion.

Horizon + Zaqar
----------------------

We used 1 horizon work session and 1 Zaqar work session to discuss this
topic. The main user case we would like to address is the async
notification so that Horizon won't have to poll the other OpenStack
components(e.g. Nova, Glance or Cinder) per second to get the latest
status. And I'm really happy to see we worked out a basic plan by
leveraging Zaqar's notification and websocket.

1. Implement a basic filter for Zaqar subscription, so that Zaqar can
decide if the message should be posted/forwarded to the subscriber when
there is a new message posted the queue. With this feature, Horizon will
only be notified by its interested notifications.

2. Listen OpenStack notifications

We may need more discussion about this to make sure if it should be in
the scope of Zaqar's services. It could be separated process/service of
Zaqar to listen/collect interested notifications/messages and post them
in to particular Zaqar queues. It sounds very interesting and useful but
we need to define the scope carefully for sure.

Pool Group and Flavor
-----------------------------

Thanks MD MADEEM proposed this topic so that we have a chance to review
the design of pool, pool group and flavor. Now the pool group and flavor
has a 1:1 mapping relationship and the pool group and pool has a 1:n
mapping relationship. But end user don't know the existence of pool, so
flavor is the way for end user to select what kind of storage(based on
capabilities) he want to use. Since pool group can't provide more
information than flavor so it's not really necessary, so we decide to
deprecate/remove it in Mitaka. Given this is hidden from users (done
automatically by Zaqar), there won't be an impact on the end user and
the API backwards compatibility will be kept.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zaqar/+spec/deprecate-pool-group

Zaqar Client

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zaqar/+spec/finish-client-support-for-v1.1-features

SqlAlchemy Migration
-----------------------------

Now we're missing the db migration support for SqlAlchemy, the control
plane driver. We will fix it in M as well.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zaqar/+spec/sqlalchemy-migration
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zaqar/+spec/sqlalchemy-migration>

Guys, please contribute this thread to fill the points/things I missed
or pop up in #openstack-zaqar channel directly with questions and
suggestions.

--
Cheers & Best regards,
Fei Long Wang (王飞龙)
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington