[openstack-dev] [all][release] summit session summary: Release Versioning for Server Applications

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri May 29 21:51:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-29 17:38:04 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
> This will result in resetting the version numbers to values lower
> than they are currently (12 < 2015), but the distributions can
> prepend an epoch value to their version number to ensure upgrades
> work properly.
[...]

Also for those who have been around since at least Essex, you'll
recall that we've previously done this for some of our software (for
example python-novaclient 2012.1 followed by 2.6.0), so distros who
have been packaging us for that long or longer have already been
through this to some degree and should probably not be entirely
surprised.
--
Jeremy Stanley