[openstack-dev] [all] gate pep8 jobs broken today

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue May 19 00:54:43 UTC 2015

Hi, we had a gate outage today for a few hours.

http://pad.lv/1456376

The issue was an interaction between the existence of pbr 1.0, project
local requirements, hacking 0.10.1 and flake8 <2.4.1.

When flake8< 2.4.1 loads plugins (which hacking is) it uses
pkg_resources and calls load(), which checks requirements.

pbr in the pep8 jobs is installed by the project requirements.txt
files, which per global-requirements mostly now say ">=0.11, <2.0", so
pbr 1.0.0 was immediately installed once it was released.

hacking is installed from release, so hacking 0.10.1 was installed,
which has the constraint for pbr of <1.0 that we had prior to bumping
the releases in global-requirements. And so boom.

We've now released hacking 0.10.2, which contains only the updated pbr
constraint, and we don't expect any additional fallout from it.

Thanks Clark, Doug, Ian, Sean, and Joe for helping unwind, analyze and fix this.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist