[openstack-dev] [all] gate pep8 jobs broken today

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue May 19 07:28:45 UTC 2015

On 05/19/2015 02:54 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> Hi, we had a gate outage today for a few hours.
>
> http://pad.lv/1456376
>
> The issue was an interaction between the existence of pbr 1.0, project
> local requirements, hacking 0.10.1 and flake8 <2.4.1.
>
> When flake8< 2.4.1 loads plugins (which hacking is) it uses
> pkg_resources and calls load(), which checks requirements.
>
> pbr in the pep8 jobs is installed by the project requirements.txt
> files, which per global-requirements mostly now say ">=0.11, <2.0", so
> pbr 1.0.0 was immediately installed once it was released.
>
> hacking is installed from release, so hacking 0.10.1 was installed,
> which has the constraint for pbr of <1.0 that we had prior to bumping
> the releases in global-requirements. And so boom.
>
> We've now released hacking 0.10.2, which contains only the updated pbr
> constraint, and we don't expect any additional fallout from it.
>
> Thanks Clark, Doug, Ian, Sean, and Joe for helping unwind, analyze and fix this.

There are some projects like ironic that pin an old hacking version and
thus will not benefit from the new hacking release:

hacking>=0.9.2,<0.10

They need to update their hacking version [1],

Andreas

[1] https://review.openstack.org/184198
    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)