[openstack-dev] [nova][heat] sqlalchemy-migrate tool to alembic

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Sat May 16 14:05:37 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Mike Bayer's message of 2015-05-15 13:13:39 -0400:

> On 5/15/15 9:31 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > This seems more complicated than needed. If we just stop writing the
> > sqlalchemy-migrate scripts and don't change them, then for 1 cycle we
> > have to run both sets of migrations and after that we can just run
> > alembic.
> Then we have a forever-in-perpetuity dependency on SQLAlchemy-Migrate
> which must be maintained forever for to maintain compatibility with all
> new SQLAlchemy, oslo.db, etc. releases, despite it never being used for
> anythine new, because it will be impossible to install an Openstack
> application without running through the first set of migrate scripts first.

The oslo.db team is also doing work to make it possible to initialize a
database without running the migrations. We might need one or two to
insert some data, but I thought we were trying to ensure that was done
with commands rather than migration scripts. If not, we should be able
to reduce the number of migrations we eventually have to port.

> The SQLAlchemy-Migrate dependency must be dropped and the project has to
> be EOL'ed at some point.   Leaving it in is definitely the more
> complicated alternative.

Yeah, I wasn't proposing that we keep it forever.