[openstack-dev] [nova][heat] sqlalchemy-migrate tool to alembic

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Fri May 15 17:33:46 UTC 2015

On 5/15/15 1:13 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On 5/15/15 9:31 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> This seems more complicated than needed. If we just stop writing the
>> sqlalchemy-migrate scripts and don't change them, then for 1 cycle we
>> have to run both sets of migrations and after that we can just run
>> alembic.
> Then we have a forever-in-perpetuity dependency on SQLAlchemy-Migrate
> which must be maintained forever for to maintain compatibility with
> all new SQLAlchemy, oslo.db, etc. releases, despite it never being
> used for anythine new, because it will be impossible to install an
> Openstack application without running through the first set of migrate
> scripts first.
>
> The SQLAlchemy-Migrate dependency must be dropped and the project has
> to be EOL'ed at some point.   Leaving it in is definitely the more
> complicated alternative.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.  Maybe you mean, do the
migrate->alembic compatibility thing in oslo.db, but then on the next
release cycle, *do* rewrite the migrate files in Alembic and drop the
migrate dependency?   That is, if a site wants to upgrade from K -> N,
they need to install and migrate each of K, L, M individually
first...e.g. it's not expected that "N" can upgrade from an existing "K"
install ?