[openstack-dev] [all] Replace mysql-python with mysqlclient

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Fri May 8 01:39:12 UTC 2015

On 5/7/15 5:32 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> If there are really fixes and features we
>> need in Py2K then of course we have to either convince MySQLdb to merge
>> them or switch to mysqlclient.
>
> Given the "no reply in 6 months" I think that's enough to say it:
> mysql-python is a dangerous package with a non-responsive upstream.
> That's always bad, and IMO, enough to try to get rid of it. If you
> think switching to PyMYSQL is effortless, and the best way forward,
> then let's do that ASAP!

haha - id rather have drop eventlet + mysqlclient :)

as far as this thread, where this has been heading is that django has
already been recommending mysqlclient and it's become apparent just what
a barrage of emails and messages have been sent Andy Dustman's way, with
no response.    I agree this is troubling behavior, and I've alerted
people at RH internal that we need to start thinking about this package
switch.    My original issue was that for Fedora etc., changing it in
this way is challenging, and from my discussions with packaging people,
this is actually correct - this isn't an easy way to do it for them and
there have been many emails as a result.  My other issue is the
SQLAlchemy testing issue - I'd essentially have to just stop testing
mysql-python and switch to mysqlclient entirely, which means i need to
revise all my docs and get all my users to switch also when the
SQLAlchemy MySQLdb dialect eventually diverges from mysql-python 1.2.5,
hence the whole thing is in a not-minor-enough way my problem as
well.    A simple module name change for mysqlclient, then there's no
problem.   But there you go - assuming continued crickets from AD, and
seeing that people continue find it important to appease projects like
Trac that IMO quite amateurishly hardcode "import MySQLdb", I don't see
much other option.