[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Prefix delegation and user facing API thoughts

John Davidge (jodavidg) jodavidg at cisco.com
Wed Mar 18 13:45:59 UTC 2015

Copying my response on the review below:

Yes that completely makes sense Sean. In our original proposal we wanted
to allow the user to initiate a subnet-create without providing a CIDR,
and have an 'ipv6_pd_enabled' flag which could be set in the API call to
tell Neutron that this particular subnet needs to have its CIDR defined by
PD. The consensus from the community early in the Kilo development cycle
was that changes to the API should be avoided if at all possible, and so
it was agreed that we would use a special ::/64 CIDR for the initial
implementation. In the IPv6 meeting yesterday you mentioned doing this
with an extension rather than modifying the core API. Could you go into
some detail about how you see this extension looking?

Cheers,

John