[openstack-dev] [Nova] Liberty specs are now open

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Mar 2 20:24:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

this is just a quick note to let you know that Liberty specs are now
open for Nova. By open I mean that it is possible to upload such a
spec, but I wouldn't expect to see much review effort on these until
Kilo is ready.

If authors of previously approved specs (Juno or Kilo) want to use the
"previously-approved: <release>" commit tag, that will make fast
tracking re-approvals easier.

For ease of reference, here's the guidelines we used in Kilo, although
the Liberty PTL might want to tweak these:

Blueprints approved in Juno or Kilo
===========================

For specs approved in Juno or Kilo, there is a fast track approval
process for Liberty. The steps to get your spec re-approved are:

 - Copy your spec from the specs/<oldrelease>/approved directory to
the specs/liberty/approved directory. Note that if we declared your
spec to be a "partial" implementation in Kilo, it might be in the
implemented directory. This was rare however.
 - Update the spec to match the new template
 - Commit, with the "Previously-approved: <oldrelease>" commit message tag
 - Upload using git review as normal

Reviewers will still do a full review of the spec, we are not offering
a rubber stamp of previously approved specs. However, we are requiring
only one +2 to merge these previously approved specs, so the process
should be a lot faster.

A note for core reviewers here -- please include a short note on why
you're doing a single +2 approval on the spec so future generations
remember why.

Trivial blueprints
==================

We are not requiring specs for trivial blueprints in Liberty. Instead,
create a blueprint in Launchpad
at https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+addspec and target the
specification to Liberty. New, targetted, unapproved specs will be
reviewed in weekly nova meetings once Kilo has been finished. If it is
agreed they are indeed trivial in the meeting, they will be approved.

Other proposals

For other proposals, the process is the same as Juno and Kilo...
Propose a spec review against the specs/kilo/approved directory and
we'll review it from there.

--
Rackspace Australia