[openstack-dev] [oslo] Ideas to detect Oslo regressions earlier

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 12:13:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

Unfortunately, it looks like each regressions introduced by releases of
Oslo libraries are still common :-( We already have tools to detect
regressions, but they are run manually. It would be nice to automate
these tests and run them more frequently (at least one per week, or even
daily?).

There are tools to run unit tests of projects like neutronclient or nova
on the development version of oslo.* libraries. They take up to 12 hours
to run all tests. Example of tools:

- "tox -e venv -- oslo_run_pre_release_tests" in each Oslo project
- tools/oslo_run_cross_tests in oslotest

To prepare the latest bunch of releases, dims wrote two patches to run
nova unit tests and tempest:

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/186413/
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/186418/

Unfortunately, the stable version of some oslo.* projects were used
instead of the development version, and 2 regressions were missed :-/

It would nice to automate a job running cinder, nova and neutron unit
tests and tempest on the development versions (git master branch) of all
oslo.* projects. We can start with something simple: run
tools/oslo_run_cross_tests and send the result by email every day to
some people interested by the result (ex: Oslo liaisons, or just me if
nobody cares). It would be nice to have a dedicated resource in the
OpenStack infra for such job.

I proposed to run "all" tests using Gerrit for each patch send to an
Oslo project, but it would use too much resources of the OpenStack infra.

Another idea would be to write a check job dedicated to Oslo releases
and use Gerrit to prepare a release (at least to tag a version in Git).

Victor