[openstack-dev] [devstack] Use devstack/master to install older releases

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:35:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:04 AM, Emmanuel Cazenave <contact at emcaz.fr> wrote:

> My first approach was to use devstack/icehouse to install swift/icehouse,
> devstack/juno for swift/juno, etc....

This is the only approach that is sane...

> I am now trying to use devstack/master in every cases because I need this
> : https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115307/ which allow not to install
> nova+glance which I don't need at all, and whose installation takes a
> really long time.

We would probably consider a backport of that to DevStack Juno, but
Icehouse is effectively EOL and we will be removing that branch soon (days
or weeks, not months).

> Is my use case of installing older releases with devstack/master not
> supported ?

No.  Even on master you may have issues trying to run a early cycle project
with a late-cycle DevStack.  DevStack evolves to meet the needs of the
projects as they develop.

That Tempest fix is pretty straightforward, with only the one code block
move not being a "skip this if project is not enabled" check.  With
Icehouse EOL, there will be no additional updates so maintaining that
backport in a local private branch should not be a big deal.  You will need
that anyway to keep using icehouse after we remove that branch from the
DevStack repo.

dt

--

Dean Troyer