[openstack-dev] Why doesn't Swift cache object data?

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:45:32 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Michael Barton <mike at weirdlooking.com>
wrote:

> What's the logical difference between having object data in memory on a
> memcache server and having it in page cache on an object server?

+1 - about a syscall - i.e. not much - I think memcache does it's own heap
management - so it's probably all userspace - but the locality is all wrong
- just do it on the object nodes [1]!

... if you want object data served from memory - just turn on
keep_cache_private and crank up keep_cache_size [2]

-Clay

1. concurrent GETs would help serve the warmed copies first -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/117710/
2. mind your /proc/fs/xfs/stat graphs tho - maybe not an issue if your
object data filesystem is on an SSD storage policy tho