[openstack-dev] [HA] RFC: moving Pacemaker openstack-resource-agents to stackforge

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Tue Jun 23 10:27:56 UTC 2015

[cross-posting to openstack-dev and pacemaker lists; please consider
trimming the recipients list if your reply is not relevant to both
communities]

Hi all,

https://github.com/madkiss/openstack-resource-agents/ is a nice
repository of Pacemaker High Availability resource agents (RAs) for
OpenStack, usage of which has been officially recommended in the
OpenStack High Availability guide.  Here is one of several examples:

    http://docs.openstack.org/high-availability-guide/content/_add_openstack_identity_resource_to_pacemaker.html

Martin Loschwitz, who owns this repository, has since moved away from
OpenStack, and no longer maintains it.  I recently proposed moving the
repository to StackForge, and he gave his consent and in fact said
that he had the same intention but hadn't got round to it:

    https://github.com/madkiss/openstack-resource-agents/issues/22#issuecomment-113386505

You can see from that same github issue that several key members of
the OpenStack Pacemaker sub-community are all in favour.  Therefore
I am volunteering to do the move to StackForge.

Another possibility would be to move each RA to its corresponding
OpenStack project, although this makes a lot less sense to me, since
it would require the core members of every OpenStack project to care
enough about Pacemaker to agree to maintain an RA for it.

This raises the question of maintainership.  SUSE has a vested
interest in these resource agents, so we would be happy to help
maintain them.  I believe Red Hat is also using these, so any
volunteers from there or indeed anywhere else to co-maintain would be
welcome.  They are already fairly complete, and I don't expect there
will be a huge amount of change.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but the other big question is
regarding CI.  Currently there are no tests at all.  Of course we
could add bashate, and maybe even some functional tests, but
ultimately some integration tests would be really nice.  However for
now I propose we focus on the move and defer CI work till later.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Adam