[openstack-dev] [Nova] Tracking optional requirements

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 22 10:45:00 UTC 2015

On 06/22/2015 06:37 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> Hi,
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/149625 made me think about optional
> requirements for nova. Some hypervisor drivers have requirements that
> are either only needed for their driver, or are optional to their
> driver. Examples include the ironic driver depending on the ironic
> client, and the review above which wants to add an optional dependancy
> on libosinfo.
>
> In general we keep these things out of requirements.txt because we
> don't want to force everyone in the world to install the ironic client
> in order to run their non-ironic hypervisor node.
>
> What I am pondering is that I think its a horrible user experience to
> not document these optional dependancies better. I feel like we need
> some sort of optional-requirements.txt file in the repo which has a
> (human readable) list of the optional dependancies of each driver and
> what those dependancies give you if installed.
>
> What would people think of such a thing? Is there a better way of
> expressing this?

I believe that Robert and other oslo folks are working on a way to do
this with environment markers some how -
https://github.com/dstufft/pip/commit/e498d83db191ccd7fe7c1c2e4f9ec201787d1257

Because you don't really want optional-requirements.txt. You want:

> pip install nova nova[libvirt] nova[mysql]

(or something... hand wave on call out)

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague