[openstack-dev] [Nova] Tracking optional requirements

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jun 22 10:37:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/149625 made me think about optional
requirements for nova. Some hypervisor drivers have requirements that
are either only needed for their driver, or are optional to their
driver. Examples include the ironic driver depending on the ironic
client, and the review above which wants to add an optional dependancy
on libosinfo.

In general we keep these things out of requirements.txt because we
don't want to force everyone in the world to install the ironic client
in order to run their non-ironic hypervisor node.

What I am pondering is that I think its a horrible user experience to
not document these optional dependancies better. I feel like we need
some sort of optional-requirements.txt file in the repo which has a
(human readable) list of the optional dependancies of each driver and
what those dependancies give you if installed.

What would people think of such a thing? Is there a better way of
expressing this?

Thoughts appreciated,
Michael

--