[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Horizon][Tuskar-ui] Making a dashboard for Ironic

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 22:40:53 UTC 2015

Hi Jim,

Your characterization of this is incomplete. These are not two equal
projects proposing the same thing in different ways, and while I very much
want to encourage collaboration, I value our community and feel that this
was not done in the spirit of that community.

To be clear: ironic-webclient has been developed with the knowledge and
support of the Ironic developer community, and was not moved into the
openstack/ namespace on my request, because I have been holding projects to
a certain level of maturity before including them in Ironic, roughly
equivalent to the TC's bar for "big tent" inclusion.

On the other hand, ironic-dashboard was done without the knowledge of any
Ironic cores, nor with even a "heads up" to the Ironic or Horizon PTLs.
Rather than an open design process, this code was just dropped on github
and Infra was asked to approve the project creation. I have not had the
opportunity to talk with its author *at all* yet.

I'm glad that ya'll didn't just approve the project creation request
without checking with me, and I'm glad we are now having this discussion.

Now that that is cleared up, let's move on.

Hi Zhenguo,

I have some questions about "ironic-dashboard" that I need answered before
the Ironic Project Team accepts responsibility for it.

The git history appears to be squashed [1], and most files don't have an
attribution header [2], and none of the headers refer to the company who
appears to be behind this (Huawei). What's the rationale for these
inconsistencies, and who is actually behind the code?

Are you going to maintain this project personally, or is there a team at
Huawei (or somewhere else) that is going to do that? Or are you expecting
Ironic's current developer teams to take ownership of this code and
maintain it?

Are you/they going to become part of Ironic's community, attend our weekly
meetings, and follow our design process?

What is the vision / goal that is being working towards? What is the scope
of this dashboard? How does it fit in with our existing plans?

I'm not entirely opposed to having two separate UI projects for Ironic at
the moment, but we should be very clear about the rationale if we go that
route.

-Devananda

[1]
https://github.com/niuzhenguo/ironic-dashboard/commit/4be73d19e54eb75aa31da3d1a38fa65c1287bc7b