[openstack-dev] [Ironic] ironic-lib library

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 17 16:20:51 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-17 10:10:22 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Ramakrishnan G's message of 2015-06-17 12:50:25 +0530:
> > Seems to me like we can keep ironic-lib git repository as a git submodule
> > of the ironic and ironic-python-agent repositories.  Any commit in Ironic
> > or Ironic-python-agent can change ironic-lib independently.  Also, looks
> > like our CI system supports it by automatically pushing commits in the
> > subscribed projects [1].  Sounds like that should be better instead of
> > making a new release of ironic-lib and waiting for it to be published to
> > make changes in Ironic or Ironic-python-agent.
>
> Please don't do this. It's similar to the incubator model used in Oslo,
> but the benefits there (being able to evolve the API of code formerly
> tightly coupled to an application) don't apply here. You're writing new
> code, and can create a library directly. Releasing libraries is easy. We
> do it often enough that people complain about the extra email.
[...]

Also, while the software we use does support Git submodules, our
infrastructure admins are not supporting use of Git submodules in
projects we host for a variety of reasons. The benefits of a
submodule over a completely separate Git repository are slim, and
usually a sign that you're working around poor design in the
involved repos. Further, submodules pose significant potential for
confusion among developers, especially those for whom this is their
first experience interacting with Git--it's confusing enough--we
should strive to keep things as simple as possible for them when the
cost of doing so is not particularly high.
--
Jeremy Stanley