[openstack-dev] [oslo][all] Request from Oslo team for Liberty Cycle

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:43:48 UTC 2015

Hello fellow stackers,

The Oslo team came up with a handful of requests to the projects that
use Oslo-*. Here they are:

0. Check if your project has a Oslo Liaison

Please see https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Oslo
and volunteer for your project. We meet once a week to go over specs,
issues with releases, etc. If you can't attend the meetings, review
the logs and send questions/feedback to the -dev mailing list or hop
onto #openstack-oslo channel.

If you filter the -dev mailing list, include the "[oslo]" topic in
your whitelist to ensure you see team announcements.

1. Update files from oslo-incubator

Check what files you have listed in [my_project]/openstack-common.conf
and under [my_project]/openstack/common/* tree. You can run the
update.py script in oslo-incubator
(https://github.com/openstack/oslo-incubator/blob/master/update.py) to
refresh the files in your project. You may see that some of the files
you may have already graduated into a library, in which case you will
need to switch to the library.

2. Use oslo.context with oslo.log

Several projects still have a custom RequestContext. For oslo.log to
log the details stored in the RequestContext, you will need to extend
your custom RequestContext from the one in oslo.context. See example
in Nova - https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/context.py

3. Switch to oslo-config-generator

The discovery mechanism in the old style generator.py is fragile and
hence we have replaced it with a better (at least in our eyes!)
solution. Please see
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/juno/oslo-config-generator.html.
This will help generate configuration files for different services
with different content/options as well.

4. Review new libraries to be added in Liberty and older ones from Kilo

Please see the specs we have for Liberty -
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/ We have a handful of
new libraries from existing oslo-incubator code as well as some brand
new ones like futurist and automaton that are not oslo specific and
very useful (Don't forget Debtcollector, tooz, taskflow from Kilo).
Projects like oslo.versionedobjects is getting a lot of traction as
well. So please review what's useful to your project and let us know
if you need more information.

Thanks,
The Oslo Team