[openstack-dev] [api][nova][ironic] Microversion API HTTP header

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:48:55 UTC 2015

On 06/16/2015 04:36 AM, Alex Xu wrote:
> So if our min_version is 2.1 and the max_version is 2.50. That means
> alternative implementations need implement all the 50 versions
> api...that sounds pain...

Yes, it's pain, but it's no different than someone who is following the
Amazon EC2 API, which cuts releases at a regular (sometimes every 2-3
weeks) clip.

In Amazon-land, the releases are date-based, instead of
microversion/incrementing version-based, but the idea is essentially the
same.

There is GREAT value to having an API mean ONE thing and ONE thing only.
It means that developers can code against something that isn't like
quicksand -- constantly changing meanings.

Best,
-jay