[openstack-dev] [nova] vif type libvirt-network

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 10 14:47:41 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel, Neil and others,

I was thinking about introducing libvirt-network as a new vif type to
nova. It can be used when Neutron prepares a libvirt network for
attaching guests.

Would you see any general concerns with such an approach? Anything that
I need to consider with libvirt networks in addition? Maybe I should
mention one thing due to the discussion this morning: No plug/unplug
behavior would required.

Any feedback is welcome!

I added a blueprint and wrote a spec with more details [1]. This
blueprint would make the macvtap-vif blueprint [2] dispensable.

The neutron code exploiting this libvirt network vif type will land on
stackforge. It will manage macvtap backed libvirt networks --> offer
guest attachments via macvtap. [3]

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-network-vif
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-macvtap-vif
[3] https://launchpad.net/networking-macvtap
(I'm still waiting for the repo to be approved, so for now I only have a
launchpad project to ref to).

--
Andreas
(irc: scheuran)