[openstack-dev] [nova] vif type libvirt-network

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Wed Jun 10 19:16:06 UTC 2015

On 10/06/15 15:47, Andreas Scheuring wrote:
> Hi Daniel, Neil and others,
>
> I was thinking about introducing libvirt-network as a new vif type to
> nova. It can be used when Neutron prepares a libvirt network for
> attaching guests.
>
> Would you see any general concerns with such an approach? Anything that
> I need to consider with libvirt networks in addition? Maybe I should
> mention one thing due to the discussion this morning: No plug/unplug
> behavior would required.
>
> Any feedback is welcome!
>

> I added a blueprint and wrote a spec with more details [1]. This
> blueprint would make the macvtap-vif blueprint [2] dispensable.
>
> The neutron code exploiting this libvirt network vif type will land on
> stackforge. It will manage macvtap backed libvirt networks --> offer
> guest attachments via macvtap. [3]
>

> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-network-vif
> [2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-macvtap-vif
> [3] https://launchpad.net/networking-macvtap
> (I'm still waiting for the repo to be approved, so for now I only have a
> launchpad project to ref to).

Thanks, Andreas, this looks interesting.  I wonder if

<network>
   <name>xyz</name>
   <forward mode="route"\>
</network>

<domain>
   <interface type='network'>
     <source network='xyx'/>
   </interface>
</domain>

would provide the connectivity that my Calico project wants to set up
[1] - i.e. where all data to and from VMs is routed on the compute host
- instead of

<domain>
   <interface type='ethernet'>
   </interface>
</domain>

Do you happen to know how data gets routed _to_ a VM, in the
type='network' case?

Regards,
	Neil

[1] http://docs.projectcalico.org/en/latest/home.html