[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Wed Jun 10 10:25:33 UTC 2015

On 10 June 2015 at 11:07, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On 10 June 2015 at 20:12, Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Since our software is to be consumed by packages, shouldn't the packages
>> project consider itself to be responsible for global requirements? I.e.
>> checking, if requirements are packageable, if versions fit, etc.
>
> I think we welcome input from distribution maintainers on
> global-requirements; especially for new packages.
>
> But, the responsibility is ultimately a team effort: all the
> components of openstack have to meet the operator/distributor
> co-installability requirement. If one project has a minimum version of
> X, its not possible for other projects to have a max version of < X
> otherwise we're not coinstallable. This works both ways of course.
>
>> In some distros, there are multiple versions of the same package allowed, in
>> others, it's forbidden.
>
> Thats true, but its also a per-distro thing. Within a distro you need
> to be consistent. There's no need for RHEL to match RDO for instance,
> and trying to make that happen across a dozen redistributors in the
> OpenStack context makes no sense at all. We're moving to making our
> ranges as wide as we can to make life easier for anyone that wants to
> pick slightly different versions: we can't assert that it will work,
> but unless we know it doesnt', we won't preclude you trying :)
>
> -Rob

Just to add some history here, this was *precisely* the problems that
vendors were having - but worse, each openstack project had
conflicting version requirements making it really quite hard for
distro's to centralise package this..

This is why the project, openstack/requirements was created to
centralise the management of this to avoid conflicting version
requirements AND get input back from distro's and vendors.  The
initial core reviewers was seeded by representatives of distro's and
vendors to get their input on viability in distro's.

Vendors and distro's didn't engage as much as they could have (myself
included), which means that they had less input.  It is pretty easy to
get that input back, you just need to review the incoming changes:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/requirements+branch:master,n,z

I did start working on a jenkins job to check distro's to see what
version of package was already in releases, but it wasn't really
reliable enough, so I dropped it on the floor.  If you wanted to work
on a jenkins job to provide advise on proposed changesets, I am sure
the infra' team would be supportive.

--
Kind Regards,
Dave Walker