[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jun 5 13:16:01 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-05 14:56:30 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> I was wondering if we could switch to post-versioning on stable
> branches, and basically generate:
>
> "2015.1.0.post38"
[...]

I think the recommendation from the PyPI maintainers is to not use
.postN suffixes since they are intended to indicate non-code
changes.

We could look at a mode for PBR which just adds a fourth unqualified
integer component that increments per patchset from the last known
tag (though that's technically not SemVer any longer)? Or maybe we
could have a PBR mode that just increments the third integer
component of the version for every commit without needing a new tag?
Or we could just push a corresponding tag for each merged commit
(though that essentially brings us back to the "tag arbitrarily"
option)?
--
Jeremy Stanley