[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 5 12:56:30 UTC 2015

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-06-01 15:57:17 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> [...]
>> The biggest hurdle is that we'd need a separate upload job name
>> for those since the current version of Zuul lacks a way to run a
>> particular job for different branches in different pipelines (we'd
>> want to do versioned uploads for all pre-release and release
>> pipeline refs, but also for post pipeline refs only when the
>> branch name is like stable/.*).
>
> Actually, scratch that. It's a bit more complicated since the post
> pipeline isn't actually branch-relevant. We'd need to tweak the
> tarball and wheel creation scripts to check the containing branch,
> like we do for some proposal jobs. Still, I think it wouldn't be too
> hard.

Exploring plan D, I was looking at the versions we currently generate on
stable branches and I think they would not convey the right message:

"2015.1.1.dev38"

- but there won't be a 2015.1.1 !
- but this is not "under development" !

I was wondering if we could switch to post-versioning on stable
branches, and basically generate:

"2015.1.0.post38"

... which would convey the right message.

I /think/ all it would take would be, as the first post-release commit
to the stable branch, to remove the preversion from setup.cfg (rather
than bump it to the next .1). I think pbr would switch to postversioning
in that case and generate postX versions from the last tag in the branch.

Not sure we would do that for stable/kilo, though, since we already
pushed 2015.1.1.devX versions in the wild.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)