[openstack-dev] [Fuel][python-fuelclient] Implementing new commands

Sebastian Kalinowski skalinowski at mirantis.com
Thu Jul 23 10:51:12 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

For a some time in python-fuelclient we have two CLI apps: `fuel` and
`fuel2`. It was done as an implementation of blueprint [1].
Right now there is a situation where some new features are added just to
old `fuel`, some to just `fuel2`, some to both. We cannot simply switch
completely to new `fuel2` as it doesn't cover all old commands.
As far as I remember there was no agreement how we should proceed with
adding new things to python-fuelclient, so to keep all development for new
commands I would like us to choose what will be our approach. There are 3
ways to do it (with some pros and cons):

A) Add new features only to old `fuel`.
Pros:
 - Implement feature in one place
 - Almost all features are covered there
Cons:
 - Someone will need to port this features to new `fuel2`
 - Issues that forced us to reimplement whole `fuel` as `fuel2`

B) Add new features only to new `fuel2`
Pros:
 - Implement feature in one place
 - No need to cope with issues in old `fuel` (like worse UX, etc.)
Cons:
 - Not all features are covered by `fuel2` so user will need to switch
between `fuel` and `fuel2`

C) Add new features to both CLIs
Pros:
 - User can choose which tool to use
 - No need to port feature later...
Cons:
 - ...but it still doubles the work
 - We keep alive a tool that should be replaced (old `fuel`)

Best,
Sebastian

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/re-thinking-fuel-client