[openstack-dev] [all] Setting epoch in setup.cfg??

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jul 10 08:44:38 UTC 2015

Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was thinking about those who are packaging with venvs (and using the
> version of a project in the venv file name); like what anvil[1] is now
> capable of (and does this in the gate now[2]) or packaging via rpms
> (which anvil also does) and they are going to be affected by the version
> shrinkage that just recently happened this cycle.
>
> Soooooo that got me around to thinking, why aren't all the projects
> setting an epoch[3] in there setup.cfg (for the ones that had a version
> shrinkage from 201X.Y to something small) to make it less painful for
> all these people (and to make it obvious to those reading setup.cfg and
> looking at the version number that a epoch change just happened)...
>
> So I proposed https://review.openstack.org/#/c/200187/ (to cinder) but
> didn't want to push something similar out everywhere before getting more
> input, is there any reason we should not do that? Is there a better way
> to do that? (Or something else I am missing?)

As Robert posted on the review:

a) pbr doesn't support epochs [yet]
b) the release team specifically decided not to epoch things.

Also you'll find that the various distros use different epoch values for
the same software, because epoch are also used to cover local blunders
in packaging and historical artifacts. That is why epochs should be
local to each packaging system and specifying it upstream is imho
counter-productive.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)