[openstack-dev] [all] Setting epoch in setup.cfg??

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Thu Jul 9 18:06:33 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I was thinking about those who are packaging with venvs (and using the
version of a project in the venv file name); like what anvil[1] is now
capable of (and does this in the gate now[2]) or packaging via rpms
(which anvil also does) and they are going to be affected by the version
shrinkage that just recently happened this cycle.

Soooooo that got me around to thinking, why aren't all the projects
setting an epoch[3] in there setup.cfg (for the ones that had a version
shrinkage from 201X.Y to something small) to make it less painful for
all these people (and to make it obvious to those reading setup.cfg and
looking at the version number that a epoch change just happened)...

So I proposed https://review.openstack.org/#/c/200187/ (to cinder) but
didn't want to push something similar out everywhere before getting more
input, is there any reason we should not do that? Is there a better way
to do that? (Or something else I am missing?)

Thoughts??

[1]: http://anvil.readthedocs.org/
[2]:
http://logs.openstack.org/13/199913/4/check/gate-anvil-python27/d6158c1/console.html#_2015-07-09_07_27_29_598