[openstack-dev] [all][packaging] Adding files to /etc in a package

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jul 1 01:55:53 UTC 2015

On 07/01/2015 03:26 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I'm pretty new to this but I'll ask anyway.  python-novaclient contains a
> bash completion script .  When installed from pypi this script isn't packaged
> (and therefore it isn't installed).
>
> I created https://review.openstack.org/#/c/196919/ to gather feedback on:
> a) this this a thing we can/should do ;
> b) How do we (in the package) handle the case where /etc/bash_completion.d dosn't exist
>
> I'm using python-novaclient here but I suspect this applies to all the
> python0*client repos.
>
> Yours Tony.

Hi,

Please don't do this. This is the kind of job to be done by package
maintainers in distribution, because mostly, Python maintainers wouldn't
know how to do things correctly. Here we've got a good example: the bash
completion scripts are now to be installed in
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions and not in /etc.

As for the general project config files, I often install them in
/usr/share/<project>-common, and then copy the file in /etc/<project> in
a postinst, so that the file isn't marked as CONFFILE.

So please don't attempt to do the work of distributions. We then end up
with config files in /usr/etc (as per what happen with Neutron
packages), and it's a mess to un-cruft.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)