[openstack-dev] [all][packaging] Adding files to /etc in a package

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Jul 1 02:08:46 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 03:55:53AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Please don't do this. This is the kind of job to be done by package
> maintainers in distribution, because mostly, Python maintainers wouldn't
> know how to do things correctly. Here we've got a good example: the bash
> completion scripts are now to be installed in
> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions and not in /etc.
>
> As for the general project config files, I often install them in
> /usr/share/<project>-common, and then copy the file in /etc/<project> in
> a postinst, so that the file isn't marked as CONFFILE.
>
> So please don't attempt to do the work of distributions. We then end up
> with config files in /usr/etc (as per what happen with Neutron
> packages), and it's a mess to un-cruft.

Okay so I take you point no problem, but I'm not running distro packages and I
still want completions.  There must be a way to package the file to at least
make it easier to achieve both our goals.

Right now I have to manually wget the file from git.o.o which isn't really okay
IMO.

Could the python package make /usr/share/doc/python-novaclient/tools and ship
it there.  That would mean that distribution packaging could just take that file
and install it in the correct and usful location AND I could just symlink it
and we both win.

Yours Tony.