[openstack-dev] [heat] multicloud support for ec2

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 19:06:59 UTC 2015

On 25/01/15 00:03, Hongbin Lu wrote:
> Hi Heat team,
>
> I am looking for a solution to bridge between OpenStack and EC2.
> According to documents, it seems that Heat has multicloud support but
> the remote cloud(s) must be OpenStack.

It actually doesn't, although it is planned. (We have multi-region
support, but that implies a shared Keystone for both regions.)

> I wonder if Heat supports
> multicloud in the context of supporting remote EC2 cloud. For example,
> does Heat support a remote stack that contains resources from EC2 cloud?

No, and that's not planned either.

> As a result, creating a stack will provision local OpenStack resources
> along with remote EC2 resources.
>
> If this feature is not supported, will the dev team accept blueprint
> and/or contributions for that?

I think the most accurate short answer here is "no". Of course, I can't
claim to speak for everyone.

There are some contributions I think we would be willing to accept,
though. For example, the biggest obstacle to writing AWS plugins is to
find a way to provide the user's AWS credentials to the plugin securely.
If we had a solution to the credential problem it would also be helpful
for multi-cloud in Heat across two OpenStack clouds that lack Keystone
federation, so I think that would definitely be valuable.

You're definitely not the only ones wanting to drive AWS from Heat, so
maybe you could set up a separate StackForge project or the like to
develop a set of AWS plugins.

cheers,
Zane.